Saturday, August 7, 2010

Why I Am Writing About My Breast Cancer Treatment...

It’s taken me 15 months to get up and running, but I guess it’s never too late for a good thing, right? I hope this is a good thing. With National Breast Cancer Awareness Month - October - just around the corner, it’s rather fitting that I get this site off the ground now, finally! I have had a heck of a journey over the last year+ since my breast cancer diagnosis. I’ve learned a lot since going through breast cancer treatment that I want to share. I wish I had had someone like me to talk to and learn from when I was going through my treatment and surgeries and complications…

So here I am, a 15 month breast cancer survivor at 38 years old. Like I said above, the lessons I have learned along my journey have been great and trying. I know that every cancer is different, as is every person, so the diagnosis and treatment options are so varied – but still, there are a lot of details that cancer patients going through treatment will share. My hope is that my story will touch someone, be that a cancer patient or someone who knows someone who is, and it will help them in some way.

I didn’t keep a written journal throughout this whole journey (now I wish I had!), but I did start one when I was first diagnosed. I will be taking excerpts from that journal, and I will be taking things from my memory and my heart and I will start from the beginning – starting with the next post.

I welcome any comments or questions you may have and will do my best to answer every one.

Final thought: Breast Cancer Awareness Month starts soon (October) – throw a “Think Pink Party” to remind all your girlfriends to get their annual mammograms. If not yet getting mammograms, then remember to do your breast self-exams – it’s what saved my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment